In this episode of Net Effects Podcast, co-hosts Les Ottolenghi and Mark Bavisotto interview Dan Streetman, CEO of TIBCO. Dan has an extraordinary history in leadership and service, and in this episode, he shares his motto, mission, and strategies for leading a “Pay it first” life.
This episode covers a variety of topics that are top-of-mind for startup entrepreneurs and enterprise leaders alike, ranging from digital transformation to moving with integrity and assuredness in a networked world.
- “There are lots of different ways that people can serve their communities, there are lots of different ways that people can learn about resilience,” Dan emphasizes that his path is just one manifestation of service, it is up to each person to make an impact through their own unique attributes, talents, and interests.
- “An individual who is informed and connected to the greater whole is really powerful.”
- A “Can do” philosophy. This was the motto of the battalion that Dan served in as company commander. “Any time I was thinking, ‘Boy this is really hard,’ ‘I’m really tired,’ ‘We’re really dirty,’ you think back to what the people before you have gone through and the legacy they have left with you. So we would salute each other with ‘Can do’ to remind no matter what the circumstances and working together, you can accomplish amazing things.”
- Keep a beginner’s mind. “The second you believe an expert you’re in something, the second you lose the ability to learn about that. And that’s dangerous. So I prefer to continue to always keep a beginner’s mind to consume as many things as possible.”
- “More things today are connected than yesterday, and as a result, each of those is generating an exponential order of magnitude of more data. Therefore, nothing will go slower tomorrow than it did yesterday.”
This Net Effects Podcast episode is a must-listen for anyone looking to overcome challenges and setbacks through a life lived with optimism and purpose. Listen to the full episode now.
About Dan Streetman and TIBCO: Dan Streetman is the Chief Executive Officer of TIBCO.TIBCO Software Inc. unlocks the potential of real-time data for making faster, smarter decisions. TIBCO’s Connected Intelligence platform seamlessly connects any application or data source; intelligently unifies data for greater access, trust, and control; and confidently predicts outcomes in real-time and at scale. Dan is an expert at leveraging data to support both strategic and real-time decisions. Prior to leading TIBCO, he helped lead significant data-driven transformations, most recently at BMC, Salesforce, and C3.ai. He is a strong advocate for creating cultures of collaboration and he honed his leadership skills as an Army officer, serving in combat operations and receiving decorations including the Bronze Star. He actively advocates for veterans and serves on several non-profit boards supporting education and employment. Dan is a distinguished graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and earned an MBA at Harvard Business School. An avid athlete, Dan has completed multiple Ironmans, including the Ironman World Championships, and he enjoys guiding visually impaired marathon runners each year in the California International Marathon and the Boston Marathon.
All opinions & expressions are solely those of the author and not those of any other individual, institution or business.